Sunday, October 2, 2011

Beer Battered Onion Rings

I went to ABC Country Restaurant (108 Avenue and 170 Street) over the weekend for supper. Before readers cry "Oh no - another chain restaurant" - take a few deep breaths. This one is Canadian, at least, based in B.C. and Alberta.

As my appetizer, I opted for the beer battered onion rings. Our server mentioned he had tried them, and did not like them. I had onion rings as a side order with a recent burger, and remembered them as thick and flavourful, the batter bursting with beer flavour. He insisted these were different.

He was right. The coating was crunchy and grainy, and tasted mostly from the oil in which it was cooked. The onion part was nice and sweet, but I would definitely not order these again. Fortunately, the onion rings served as a side dish are still the previous kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment