Saturday, March 10, 2012

Vegan Burger at The Pourhouse

Vegan Burger by raise my voice
Vegan Burger, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

I ventured to The Pourhouse Bier Bistro after the International Women's Day March and Rally. The Pourhouse describes itself as a "gastropub," which means the emphasis is as much on food quality as good libations.

I was very impressed with the beer selection, which included special brews for the establishment, as well as seasonal or temporary specials. After picking my beer (a microbrew called Original 16 from Saskatoon) I opted for the vegan burger. After all, I was still in activist mode.

I was faced with one of the biggest veggie burgers of my life. The enormous patty was made from soy, chickpeas, peas, corn, and grains. Served on a fresh and crispy while wheat kaiser bun, it was topped with roasted peppers and caramelized onions. There could have been pesto, but the pesto was not vegan so I held it (I am not a strict vegan, but don't care for parmesan).

The Pourhouse boasts that it does not have a deep fryer. Sides include coleslaw, salad, soup, and smashed potatoes. I opted for the latter. It looked like at least two large potatoes had met their demise upon my plate. A bit of cream and the scallions on top replicated the flavour of a baked potato with sour cream and onions, with a healthy dose of garlic.

I thought at first the prices at The Pourhouse were a little steep, but for $13, the size of the portion and quality of the food definitely justifies the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment