Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Pho Files: Stewed Beef Brisket Soup at Pho Rice Pot

Stewed Brisket Soup by raise my voice
Stewed Brisket Soup, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

Biggest. Soup. Ever.

Those were the words that went through my brain when I set eyes on my serving of stewed beef brisket soup that I had for lunch this afternoon at Pho Rice Pot.

I had a choice of egg or rice noodles, and I opted for rice. The bowl was so large, I could have gone swimming in it (OK, not literally - but you get the idea). Huge chunks of reasonably lean brisket floated atop a mountain of noodles, as did a number of large and tender carrot pieces. The broth was so aromatic, its scent wafted all through our table, and it was a bit spicier than other Vietnamese stews I have had. I think a spicy paprika may have been used (also attributing to the broth's orange colour), but I could also taste cloves and other seasonings.

This soup is one of the restaurant's specialities, and I could see - and taste - why. It was truly memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment