Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Pho Files: Oodle Noodle

I have never had a really good experience in a fast food noodle place. In fact, I tend to avoid them unless I am really in a rush and it is a convenient option.

Earlier this week, I ventured into the 170 Street location of Oodle Noodle for the first time. Someone I trust convinced me it was excellent. I was impressed with the selection of noodle dishes from different parts of the world, but I was craving one thing, and one thing only: pho. I was thrilled that they have it, and at the very low price of $6.95.

Although I was sceptical, I ordered a bowl of Pho Bo, which has well done brisket. It was the only choice, as opposed to the standard medium done sliced beef I usually order - I suspect that Oodle Noodle is going after pho newbies who may be alarmed at the sight of pink meat floating around in their soup.

Pho Bo

I was first surprised by the size of the portion - it was equivalent to any regular sized bowl I have had elsewhere, full of noodles and lots of chunks of meat. Some of the meat could have been leaner, but brisket tends to be fatty to start with. Also, the aroma of the broth overtook our table almost immediately. The flavour was incredible, and I thoroughly enjoyed the soup.

Green Onion Cake

Since I often enjoy a green onion cake with my soup, I was glad to see them on the menu at Oodle Noodle as well. I ordered one and it was hot and chewy. Flavour-wise it was great, but I prefer my onion cakes a little more crispy. Still, this was minor and I would definitely order one again when I return for another bowl of that incredible hpo.

No comments:

Post a Comment