Saturday, January 18, 2014

Breakfast for Lunch: Pannekoeken at De Dutch

De Dutch by raise my voice
De Dutch, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

Spending most of the day in the downtown core gave me the opportunity to try De Dutch again. This time, I wanted to try the pannekoeken, the signature dish at the breakfast and lunch restaurant, which is a large, thin pancake with a choice of a variety of toppings and combinations.

I opted to build my own savoury pannekoeken, and chose turkey bacon and two eggs. The pancake, as I expected, was huge, filling an entire plate. It was thinner than a traditional pancake, but tasted similar. Four large pieces of turkey bacon and two scrambled eggs (as I requested) adorned the massive pancake. I certainly was full by the end.

My favourite part of the meal though, was trying stroop, which is a Dutch syrup. It does not taste at all like maple syrup, but more like molasses. It was very sweet and a little went a long way.

I really enjoy trying food from different parts of the world, and pannekoeken certainly fulfils that desire. In some ways, I think the novelty of the huge pancake is a large draw. I look forward to more meals at De Dutch but I think my curiosity about pannekoeken has been satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment